Friday, March 29, 2024

Second hand one line method again! ! Studying for me means slowly reading through difficult specialized books

Hello. This is Tenmei Watanabe from Clear File Seito Medical School. This previous rewrite article mentioned a method of reading one line per second called the second hand one line method. Below is the pre-rewrite article.



The second hand one line method is a method of setting a watch and reading one line while the second hand ticks away. I feel that the rate at which what you read sticks in your memory increases with time.


It is obvious that writing something down on paper will stick it in your memory better than just skimming it. On top of that, the most cost-effective reading method for me is to trace the letters with my finger and read them out loud, then imprint them on my eyes. In addition to that, you can also draw lines with line markers to make it easier to organize sentences in your head.


This may seem a little weird if you look at it from the outside, but it's extremely effective, and by simply reading it once and drawing a line, you can summarize what you've read in a memo pad.


I just thought to myself, but to be honest, I'm scared that if I continue with this story, it's going to turn into a really deep story. This is because it is related to the essence of my study theory.


Of course, I don't just mutter the words while reading them and follow them with my fingers, but I also sometimes take the simple method of simply copying them into my notebook. This has its pros and cons, and it's not that one is better than the other, it's a matter of preference.


Probably four and a half years ago, when I was advocating the Second Hand One Line Method, the most popular method was to simply read each letter carefully so that they were imprinted on the eye, but these four and a half years have forced me to come up with a new way of reading. succeeded.


It goes without saying that my new finger-tracing reading method is a useful reading method for reading Japanese textbooks, where the first part is difficult, so that you can read the content smoothly without getting stuck.


In the article before this rewrite, there is also a story about how I quit meditating after 10 years. I gained superhuman concentration through meditation, but I became a little unwell and had to stop meditating. That was many years ago.


In that sense, out of all the studying, muscle training, and meditation that I have continued to do since my student days, studying is the only thing I continue to do today. I don't do much muscle training these days.


It's been 16 years since I started studying in earnest. It seems like a long 16 years. Let's go back to the line-per-second method, but just being able to read it quickly doesn't mean it's better.


I basically read business books and specialized books in the name of studying, but while I can read business books quickly, I can only read specialized books slowly.


If it's a simple book like a business book, it's fine to read it quickly, but if you don't understand it when it comes to specialized books, they will become a wasted treasure.


Therefore, I prioritize understanding and memorization, and use two methods: one method is to trace the information with your finger and burn it into your memory, and the other method is to simply copy it into a notebook.


The flow of time is a scary thing, and I am confident that if you use these two methods, you will be able to read any specialized book smoothly.


There are many ways to study. For some people like me, studying is by reading texts, while for others, studying is by being taught directly by a teacher. Some of them are self-sufficient in learning how to know ten by listening to one.


In that sense, I have learned by self-study until now without asking for direct instruction from anyone. When I read a specialized book on a field I was learning for the first time, I had to understand it logically in my head, like archeology. This may be connected to the ability to make good decisions in research.


Even after learning just a little bit about a new field, I was able to discern much more than what I had learned. If you ask me, studying means reading a difficult technical book little by little while babbling, and it does not mean simply learning the main points from the teacher.


The ability to self-study is extremely important even in research, and all of the people who left their mark on history were masters of self-study. Above all, it is difficult to acquire practical skills when taught by a teacher.


Even if the nature of the problem is slightly different, they will not be able to deal with it because they have not learned the hard way. In that sense, I believe that those who have diligently studied and studied specialized books understand things closer to the essentials.


I have been studying on my own for 16 years, but if I had had a teacher who could be considered a mentor, I might have been at my current level in 8 years, half that amount, instead of 16 years. However, in that case, I would not have been able to acquire the practical ability to respond flexibly to situations as much as I do now.


If you want to study a different field each time, you will have to find a teacher in that field each time. Because you don't have the skills to learn on your own, you won't be able to apply what you learn in other fields.


I think self-study means creating your own techniques. The two mainstream reading methods that I currently use are methods that I was able to develop because I gained a lot of experience.


You don't have to provide everything yourself. To some extent, this is because our ancestors have left behind knowledge on how to deal with it. When you take a step forward and acquire your own weapon, you will not be able to acquire practical skills unless you have experienced trial and error. The question is whether or not we have passed through the chaos, so to speak.


Read through a famous technical book that is really difficult to understand without anyone's help. I think that's where real research power lies. I still can't read papers, but I think this kind of experience means that when I read a paper, I can understand it without having to ask the professor every time.


I think that I will soon acquire the ability to read difficult mathematics papers. Self-studying is a detour and the shortest shortcut to get there.


Going back to the topic, the second hand one line method is not a very effective study method if you look at it now, four and a half years later. Being able to read quickly means sacrificing something.


Even if the reading speed is slow, the content stays in the memory and the content is understood. I think this is where the essence of learning lies. that's all. Let's meet again. See you soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Opening up the destiny of Tenpu Nakamura! The company gives experience and salary

This is Nada from Seito Medical School. This time I will report my diary notes from Saturday, December 2nd. ・Generate ideas through synergis...